My mom called the other day and low and behold what do you think she found in her backyard? You'll never believe it. Strange footprints. And after careful consideration, and a whole bunch of research she concluded that what she had actually discovered were the FOOTPRINTS of real live DRAGONS that must have lived in her very own backyard hundreds of years ago!!!! HOLY COW!!! And as if that wasn't excitement enough, to top it off she had uncovered the remains of several DRAGON EGGS. There was apparently a nest not far from the footprints that had a whole bunch of shells in it.
After talking it up to the kids for a good 45 minutes on the phone, she told them about this great book she'd found -Dragonology- and promised them she'd send plaster casts of the footprints, and samples of the eggshells in the mail right away. The kids were beside themselves with excitement for days. They wanted to talk about it all the time. How many toes do dragons have, and how did grandma know it was a Japanese dragon? etc. So we promptly went out and bought the Dragonology book and Abbie's been pouring over it giving us all kinds of useful bits of info.
Sure enough, Saturday, in the mail came a little box from grandma and grandpa and this is what we found in it...

Apparently Japanese Dragons have blue sparkly eggshells.

Alec already dropped his and broke it in half.

My mom and the kids have planned out a whole dragon hunt for our visit in July. My mom is as excited about it as the kids are. She has all sorts of plans. She had me look online and order her all sorts of dragon stuff. She got dragon charms for necklaces, big huge Easter Eggs and plush baby dragons to stuff in them to find at the end of their dragon hunt, dragon wands, and a few other things. It'll be fun. I've never known anyone with a better imagination than my mom. My parents are really great grandparents, especially for long distance grandparents. They've always got something going on with the kids (last year they found a pirate treasure map. When we went out to visit, we followed it and dug up a big old treasure chest full of treasures, jewels, and nickels. She made all the kids pirate costumes and everything! Their backyard is full of surprises!).
So needless to say, we're in to dragons at our house, so if you need any info. just ask Abbie.
7 comments:
You are a great mom and I can see that you had a great teacher. Your post from yesterday really got to me. I look up to mothers like you who set such a good example for women with different ideals. You make motherhood stand out as something worthy and important. Keep it up :)
Your mom rocks! Man...the way she builds it up...I'd be excited too!
What a cool mom. My kids would love that idea too. Not so sure I want to get Chad involved though. Once he starts talking about something he just doesn't stop.
I'd love to look at your dragon books - they look awesome.
Looks like you are already on the right start for summer.
What a FUN mom you have!! That is such a great idea. I love the whole pirate theme too...costumes and everything. That is the kind of Grandma I want to be!!
I love this. It is true. Mom has the best imagination I have ever encountered. I am sure Abbie really does have all of the information memorized.
I want to visit your mom too! She sounds like so much fun!
I was so happy to click on your blog and see two great posts. First of all--motherhood. I'm so glad I have such a great friend to journey through motherhood. You truly are a great mom and enjoy every minute of it.
The dragon thing looks so cool and I am totally going to steal this idea to do with my kids. I recently bought the dragonology book and this is the perfect way to put it to use. Your kids are going to have such great memories of their vacations to grandma's house.
Post a Comment