Saturday, November 8, 2008

Our 44th President...

Barack Obama

This year marked the election of our 44th president of the United States. It's been a long and exhausting year and a half of politics and debates.

Let me just start by saying I did not vote for Barack Obama and have made no secret of that. I disagree with him on many levels and for many reasons. In fact this is the first election since I turned 18 that I have felt passionately against one candidate. But at this point I choose not to dread his future agendas. I actually liked his acceptance speech. He is truly a gifted speaker and extremely charismatic. I see why he has swayed millions of Americans to adopt his cause. I think there are some silver linings to look at in his election as our next president.
  • As coverage of election night went on and it was clear what the outcome would be, several analysts talked about how we really don't know who we just elected. Campaign Obama is a completely different person than the Obama of the Illinois State Senate, and the Obama of the U.S. Senate. He is portraying himself as much more center of the road. I think (hope) that he will continue on this path. His desire for popularity and reelection in 4 years creates a need to be more moderate in his actions. Speaking to those who didn't vote for him he said "I will be your president too". Hopefully his expressed goal of bridging the gap is sincere and he will accomplish it.
  • Perception is reality. People are hyped about Obama. Voters think he's the one to "change" things (whatever that means exactly). He's the one to unite America once more. Therefore maybe he can. If people think he can and will do it, he can probably do it. It's all about perception. People are filled with hope and excitement. Attitude is key.
  • African Americans can no longer cry prejudice and suppression. I don't mean that to sound unsympathetic. The voters of 2008 don't even remember the Civil Rights movement. We don't watch a commercial on T.V. and say "Oh look, that's a black person." Race doesn't enter our minds. Racial prejudice is a thing of the past in this country and this election was the defining moment to prove it.

Good Luck Barack

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I agree with you completely. And "Good Luck" is right...he is definitely going to need it. I felt bad for whoever was stepping into the position of President this year...what a mess!!

What bothers me the most is the fanatical supporters he has (not to mention the company he keeps). He isn't the holy messiah come to save the world...he is just a man. I really hope he can live up to his hype.

Angi said...

I feel the same way about letting him prove that he's going to go a more moderate route. I hope that's true. It's amazing to have a black president though, its a great accomplishment for him and our country. (As far as race is concerned) I didn't really expect it this early in my lifetime.