Monday, February 4, 2008

Food for thought...

I've been really into preparedness lately. We just redid our life insurance, updated our 72 hour kits, we're even thinking about buying a little generator etc. I've been trying to beef up our food storage, and have been checking out the church website for guidelines on exactly how much we should store.

Anyway, I've come up with a brilliant idea!!! We're going to eat nothing but food storage this whole week. I was originally planning on two weeks, but I think that might be a little overkill. I'll make every meal out of our storage supplies, including Abbie's school lunches. I think this will give me a better idea of what we really need and use. Already so far I have learned a few things. We started today with two gallons of milk and 6 eggs that I decided we would use, that might be cheating I don't know. The eggs are already gone.

Lunch...
  • Macaroni and Cheese,

  • dried, canned, apple slices


Dinner..

  • homemade rolls--flour, yeast, salt, butter, eggs, water

  • white bean chicken chilli--3cans white beans, 1 can chicken, water, chicken boullion, salt and pepper, oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, 1 can green chillis.



So far so good. I'll be spending the evening studying the cannery's little yellow cookbook. It's surprising how many things require eggs.





2 comments:

Lara said...

You are always an inspiration. Those are things I have been meaning to do - but with my gift of perpetual procrastination - never get around to.

Dinner sure looks yummy!!!!! Good luck the rest of the week.

Doesn't applesauce replace eggs in some recipies? I bet you could find some ideas on the internet too.

andrea said...

Funny, I did this all last week with our snow and we survived great. But the eggs did concern me. Luckily I had about half of a costco 5 dozen pack but I too was amazed at how many things required eggs. I think I've seen dehydrated eggs before. Might be something to look into. Good luck surviving.