I read a post a while ago that got me thinking. She wrote that what she enjoys most, and looks forward to every day is creating. She gets up and wants to accomplish some of her "creations", and it seems like somehow life just gets in the way, and some days there just isn't time to 'create' and the days are just same old same old. (That's the jist anyway.) Yesterday my sister wrote a really cute post about creativity that reminded me that I wanted to write on this subject too.
I've never considered myself an overly creative person. I appreciate creativity, and I love all things artistic, musical, etc. As my husband says, I have adult ADD, and can't concentrate on one hobby for very long. It's true I have a rotation of hobby obsessions, when I get sick of one I just move on to the next. I definitely think it's great to have an outlet, and something we can each do that we enjoy, and that is kind of our own thing. Creating whatever it is we each create, is a great way to do that.
Most of the time, my days melt together. I was just telling Chad this morning that here we are waking up again!!! It seems like we are just constantly, over and over waking up to a new day, one after another, and another... Time marches on literally.
So after pondering a little about this creating thing. And realizing that I really don't create much in the popular sense of the term, I've come to this conclusion...
I think what we all are creating day in, and day out, is the childhood of our children. In the end, it really will be our greatest masterpiece. (At least this is what I tell myself while I'm washing the dished for the 4th time in a day.)
We're creating a warm, cozy home. Their traditions, relationships, meals, everything they will remember about their childhood, is in our hands. What we did for their birthdays, or first day of school, their bed time routine, if we taught them to help out with chores. Things as simple as if the house was usually clean and comfortable, or if the fridge smelled like rotten onion dip every time it was opened will contribute in part to their memory. I think all these things lend to the complete feeling of what growing up in our household was like, and this will be what they remember as their "childhood"
Isn't this creative? Why is it that we often seem to need more? Or that we somehow don't see these everyday things as worth noting?
Art is awesome, and creativity is so great. I guess I just think if we can't fit it in it's OK. We can still enjoy our everyday day. What do you think?
7 comments:
Aww-that's so cute! I think it is an awesome thought. To know that we're creating a loving childhood and great home life for our children is so cool. I definitely think that is pretty much all I'm able to focus on creating right now. Shouldn't it be more than enough? It is for me. In fact, its probably the only thing I'm really passionate at the moment. I love hobbies and creative moments but I can let those balls all drop. What I can't drop is creating that cozy place for my kiddos. I totally agree! Love Ya!
I love your thoughts on this topic. I agree that it is so important to create a warm and cozy home environment for our children. I love how you said that we are creating a childhood for our children. This is definitely my focus right now. There's not time for much else and we only get to do this once. I find that doing stuff for my kids is a great creative outlet and they love it so much when I am creating that "childhood" feel for them. I only wish there were more hours in the day or another me to do laundry and cook.
Seriously Andrea,
We all need a mini me, the we could do it all.
I think my favorite thing, besides you expressing yourself on your blog through WORDS no less(:)) is that I already knew this about you. We have had such great conversations, and I love that we are friends. I think you're a great mom with a great perspective and your kids are fortunate to have someone that "gets it". Really, I love this fact about you:)
I totally agree! I think it is SO important to realize that everything we do is creating the life and memories of our children, and like you said, we only have one shot. It really puts all of the little repetitive things we do as moms into perspective doesn't it! Love you-Bets
Would you mind very much if I took excerpts from this post, cross-stitched them, and hung them on my wall?
Those are words to live by.
Thank you!
Alisa,
You are hilarious! I laughed out loud at your comment
Post a Comment