Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Road Trip Summer 2009...

Last week Luke and I went through all my old blogs and had so much fun looking at all the cute pictures and remembering the fun stuff we did. It really made me anxious to keep blogging to have a journal of our life. I was so sick all summer I missed a bunch of fun memories. I'm trying to hurry and catch up before the baby comes so I can just keep up with the new stuff.



In June we took a road trip to St. Louis. We took the kids out of school a week and a half early to stretch our summer a bit. We left about 5:00 Saturday morning and drove all day. I wrapped a bunch of little surprises for each of the kids, and gave them one every few hours to keep them entertained. We also have the dvd player in the car and we watched a couple of movies. I didn't pack hardly any food. It was great and really cut down on the mess in the car. Every time we stopped for gas we let the kids go into the station and pick out a treat. They thought it was Christmas. They perused the whole store and debated over each item and were so excited to pick out their own treat. It was so much fun. About 10 hours into the drive Alec said from the back of the car... "Thanks mom, this is the best vacation ever!" It was so cute.



So we stopped for the night in Wyoming, and swam at the pool. Then we left early the next morning and drove to Angi's house in Kansas City. We stayed Sunday and Monday nights with Angi and headed to St. Louis early Tuesday morning.



I uploaded all these pictures in no particular order and now for some I'm not able to rearrange the order at all. So I'm just going to leave them and put captions explaining each of them. Then I can move on to the next overdue post.

On our way home we stopped in South Dakota at Mt. Rushmore.




Here's Luke helping wash the car before we headed for home.


The kids each made their own stepping stone for my parents' backyard path.

Petting animals at the St. Louis Childrens' Zoo


Petting and feeding the sting rays.







Luke and Elise reading books at grandma's house.

Playing in the creek in grandma and grandpa's back yard.

Luke and Spencer.


We had a pioneer adventure this year. This kids did a bunch of activities from the days of the pioneers, and my mom made each of them darling little pioneer costumes. The pictures are all in reverse order. Here is Lukie panning for gold.


We make mop dolls.
Learned to shoot marbles.


Luke with his mop doll.
Abbie carving soap.
Making mop dolls.
Kids carving soap.
Abbie in her cute outfit making a chalk drawing.
All the cousins in their adorable pioneer costume.
Luke all dressed up.

Chalk drawings.



Alec.

Reese.
Abbie.

Alec at the science museum.

Chad and I had our 11th anniversary there.


Abbie, Lauryn and Elise at a Kansas City Barbecue restaurant

Abbie, Reese, Alec, Liv, and Gwen at the zoo.
On the hamster wheel at the science museum.
The boys at the restaurant.



Got everyone a slurpee in Kansas City.

The road trip.


Here we are after a gas station stop. I think it's cute that everyone got chocolate and candy except Alec. He picked out a bag of chips. That's so Alec, he's just like his dad.
More pictures of Mt. Rushmore.

More pictures of the kids all dressed up during our pioneer adventure.
Gwen, Elise and Luke at the Science Center. Luke is saying cheese.
Another slurpee picture.

5 comments:

Lucy said...

Really fun pics, Kariann. I'm so proud of you for taking that road trip! It's so hard and long, but always worth it. Next time, since you can handle days in the car, swing by my way:)

andrea said...

Great update. The pictures are great in any order.

Lara said...

Fun to see your summer!

Susie said...

WOW!! Very fun and entertaining blog with great pictures. Love them all and all the fun adventures and memories you had and built this last summer. Love your anniversary picture too cute, it is hard to believe it has been 11 years. Happy more years ahead for you two.

Blecca and R Home said...

it looks like you guys had so much fun. the kids look so cute in their pioneer outfits. that must have been fun. we can't wait for the next little addition! you're wonderful!!!