Monday, April 21, 2008

Back to March...

March was a action packed month, and of course I didn't post a thing, so here's to catching up...

My mom came the end of the months and stayed about 10 days. We had a great time. We dyed Easter eggs using a method my mom taught us as kids. We did it this way every year and I always loved it. I have been too lazy to go to the work with my own kids, but when they get just a touch older I think we'll start this tradition.
You start with as many different kinds of flowers and greenery you can find. As kids, we usually went outside and collected whatever was starting to bloom in our own yard, but this year Easter was so darn early, there was nothing. So we headed to Fred Meyer's florist department.
Next, you get a spool of thread. You tie on leaves, and flowers in whatever pattern you choose.

You wrap around and around until the finished product looks something like this.

Then you collect a bunch of onion skins, red or yellow. You boil the onion skins in water with a little vinegar, put the wrapped eggs in the water and boil them with the onion skins too. When you remove the eggs, let them cool then unwrap the thread. It's the coolest thing ever. The leaves and flowers make imprints on the eggs, and they turn out just beautifully. Of course I forgot to take a picture of the final masterpiece, but they turned out great.

We did a dozen of the dye in a box eggs too for the boys.

This is what Luke was doing while we were dyeing our eggs. I guess he got a little hungry. Good thing he can reach the cereal shelf in the pantry.


Here's the clan Easter morning.

Here, with grandma JoLynn.

During the course of the trip, my mom spent hours playing "dog trainer" with the kids. She taught them all sorts of tricks and put together an entire choreographed dog show for Chad and I. It was so cute.

The day before she left we did a little photo shoot. Can't you see the family resemblance? Photos courtesy of Reese and Alec.




Luke took his first steps on Mach 6th. Here are a few of the first a coupe days later.
Here's the crazy kid trying to reach the TV remote.

Alec also had his fouth birthday in March. He's such a little doll. We started the birthday celebration by having a little party with his friends, at McDonald's. Great fun!Then we made the traditional jaunt out to Chuck-E-Cheese for a party with just our little family.
Here's Lukie on the way home feeling like big shot.

Happy 4th birthday Alec! We love you!!








3 comments:

Angi said...

Hey Kar -Guess what! The kids and I did the eggs this year for the first time, too. I only got brave enough because I got a cool tip from family fun mag. Instead of having them wrap thread around them, place the flowers and stuff on and then put the whole thing in a piece of a nylon stocking. It worked great and much easier than the thread for little fingers! They turned out awesome. I'll post some pictures soon. Happy birthday Alec!

Lara said...

Sometimes it gets crazy busy!

I'm so glad your mom was able to come out and have fun with you. I am so looking forward to my mom coming back up again for Halle's birthday at the end of May.

The eggs look like a lot of work - but I'm sure my kids would love to try it.

All the pictures were fun.

Lucy said...

Wow! What a month. Of course the mom visit tops 'em all because she seems like the coolest grandma ever. A dog show? Who thinks of stuff like that? Only your mother:)

Cute pictures of Alec's birthday and I can't believe little Luke is walking. He has grown up so fast!