Monday, January 7, 2013

The accident that illustrates our life...

Just a quick note to so that I don't forget that this happened.

It was my brilliant idea to get Alec a bow and arrow for Christmas this year.  (That's probably all I really need to say.  But I'll continue for the sake of journalling.)  

Well, the excitement of Christmas morning came and went.  Several days later (New Years Day),  we were packing up the house, and finding spots for all the new "stuff".  The boys were all three in their room, "cleaning".  You know how that goes if you have a house full of boys.  Mine just happen to share a room, and any time they are all shut in a room together, interesting, and memorable things are bound to happen.

This is what I remember... Chad and I were peacefully packing up decorations when the upstairs bedroom door flies open and Reese comes running out yelling "Alec got hurt with his bow and arrow.  Alec got hurt with his bow and arrow..."  Following close behind was Alec, SCREAMING at the top of his lungs, blood literally pouring out of his mouth.  They run downstairs and we take him to the kitchen sink.  Reese is saying over and over "I'm sorry Alec, I'm so, so sorry."  

After we clean him off a bit, we see that his lip is cut and bleeding, but not too bad.  He was having trouble swallowing, and tons of blood still filling his mouth.  So I got a flashlight and peered down his throat.  Well, staring right at me was a puncture wound right at the back of his throat, and it was pulsing blood.  I panicked a bit and described it to Chad.  He immediately called a friend of ours who is a head and neck surgeon, and rushed Alec to the friends' office.  Turns out, it was nothing serious, just a really superficial injury that bled what seemed to me like gallons of blood. A couple days of ibuprofen and soft food, and he's now as good as new.  

Well, it took a couple days to figure out what exactly happened.  How on earth an arrow ended up in the back of Alec's throat.  

We were sitting in the boys bedroom reading stories and Alec says, "I'm surprised that gun isn't covered in blood."  

I look over, and there sits a play star wars gun with a scope on top.  The scope is a long tube with a "sight" hole down the middle just the circumference of the arrow.  

Picture this...  
Reese- "Alec, hold this gun up as still as you can.  I'm going to surprise you."

Alec grasps gun with both hands and holds it out right in front of his face :).  

Reese proceeds to insert arrow into scope thinking he will slowly push it through and it will poke out the other end and surprise Alec:).

Well, the bow is apparently more powerful than either boy expected. Reese, the brilliant 11 yr old that he is, draws back the bow, and "accidentally" lets it go completely instead of threading it through slowly.  And WHAM!!!  OOPS!!!

Needless to say, the weapon is confiscated.  I should have kept it under my supervision to begin with.  We've also had several long discussions about safe weapon handling, and using your head.  Because that's why you have a brain in your head...to use it.
  
Poor Alec, why do these things always happen to him?

No comments: