
Last week I was dutifully spending my morning in the laundry room folding a mound of clothes taller than me when the phone rang. I paused for a minute deciding whether or not I should ignore it. Since the receiver happened to be sitting on the counter behind me I decided I could go to the trouble of picking it up. Good thing I did.
Me: "Hello"
Chad: "Where are you, Reese just fainted at school and they want you to come get him right away."
Me: "Ok, I'm on my way."
I raced down to school, fortunately it's only one block away so I was there in a jiffy. I headed into the nurses office, and there was Reese sitting on a bed as white as a ghost. The travelling nurse just happened to be there for the day. She made sure to inform me that I was so lucky she was there to revive him. They were an inch away from calling 911.
Reese had been practicing for the upcoming music program. They were standing in their rows in the hot gym singing and he just keeled over. She gave him juice and chocolate milk, and he apparently came right back to life.
This is the brilliant mommy part... She had done some investigating and found out that for breakfast he only had a handful of crackers as he raced out the door. She kept telling him over and over... "Now Reese, if you ever don't get breakfast at home, you can come right to the office. We have food for kids who are hungry." "Now don't forget, just come right to the office if you need food, we don't want you going hungry. The ladies in the front office will give you a snack." Over and over and over and over. Everyone that walked by and asked if he was ok she told them he was fine, he only got a cracker for breakfast, but she fed him, and now he was fine.
"Lady, he fainted, He's not going to miss breakfast again!!!" (I didn't say that, but I was thinking it!)
I was seriously waiting for her to offer to sign him up for the free and reduced price breakfast program.
Needless to say, it was a bit humiliating. Maybe I need to rethink our hectic morning routine. Really, breakfast is overrated. It's for those lovely, organized families who only have 1, super-well maintained child.
Let me introduce my new motto "Let's concentrate on what mom did do, not what she didn't do."
4 comments:
I'm so glad you wrote this down. It's definitely going to be a Roland family story for the ages.
That could have been me. Welcome to my world!
I'm with you - breakfast is overrated. We've resigned to eating in the car most mornings (and, I'm ashamed to admit, it's often from Mickey D's!)
i find this "lady" hilarious ... at your school. the "reputation" one too. as with alec - i was a third child - and chad made me tardy so much i got a lower grade in my morning class. freshman choir. (i can't sing either, but that's not the point)
Post a Comment